A certified nurse-midwife (CNM) is a registered nurse and a qualified midwife. Midwives deliver high-caliber services with a human touch by empowering their patients to take an active role in their own healthcare. A certified nurse midwife Jackson Heights, NY can help!
What do midwives do?
- Preconception counseling is the first service midwives offer.
- Although many women may not give much thought to their health before becoming pregnant, it is crucial that they do so during pregnancy. Some suggestions for preconception counseling include:
- Facilitating better lifestyle choices in women before conception. Examples include starting a recommended fitness program and switching to full, healthy foods rather than processed or fast options.
- Assisting women in kicking harmful habits before trying to conceive. If you want to stop smoking, now might be the time to do it.
- Helping expectant mothers and their partners create a unique strategy for giving birth.
Midwives are nurses that specialize in providing prenatal care.
It is crucial to think about who will be there for you during your pregnancy and beyond. Knowing what to expect during pregnancy, especially for first-time mothers, can greatly reduce anxiety. Having a midwife as a resource during pregnancy may have benefits such as:
- Having additional one-on-one time between the midwife and the expecting mother to discuss any issues or questions that may arise.
- Advising patients to get further information. Your midwife may suggest, for instance, that you enroll in a Centering program, where you can meet other expecting mothers and learn about and discuss the unique challenges you face throughout pregnancy and as a new mother.
- Possessing a variety of childbearing options to pick from. Case in point: Walking, showering, or using a tub for labor are all options you and your midwife can explore and decide upon together. Active midwives attend births from beginning to end.
- The act of giving birth to a new life is profoundly moving. Many expecting parents and their families find the process of giving birth to a new child to be tense and frightening. However, you might get more attention than usual if you see a qualified nurse-midwife during this time.
- You and your loved ones will have someone there to talk to and comfort you the whole time you are in labor.
- Encouragement of breastfeeding for those mothers who feel the need. For instance, if necessary, midwives can send nursing moms to lactation experts and provide postpartum care themselves.
- Instructions on how to care for a newborn. A qualified nurse-midwife, for instance, is trained to evaluate newborns and provide guidance on how to best care for them.